Chicken Attacked By Dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShadowsFIAL, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    My dog somehow opened my coop door while I was at work. My father found the birds after the fact. One was in my neighbors yard killed by their dog. The other two he found in our yard. It looks like my dog just licked all over them, but I am not sure. My oldest hen has feathers missing and one very small puncture at the end of her tail, otherwise just look all slobber covered. However she is having a hard time keeping her balance... she also laid an egg overnight on the roost and I am not sure if it was crumpled from the fall, or from my dog when he got ahold of her. She is not wanting to eat or drink when I was out there, and she is sitting on the floor in a big pile of bedding near the heat lamp along with the other chicken who is sitting next to her for company. The other hen is getting around fine, walking, eating, drinking. All in the norm. I need advice. Should I just wait and see how she does, or should i try and euthanize her. If I euthanize her, what are some humane methods I could use? Thank you.

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I would doctor her for now. clean the wounds, use a vetricyn, or blu kote. keep food and water easy for her to get to. make sure the others don't go to picking at her. We would probably act the same way and need rest if we saw our friends and family get killed and got wounded ourselves. Give her some time to recoup.

3. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Given that the initial shock didn't kill her, I would give her a time to rest and recover. Make sure she can stay warm and has easy access to food and water. You might tempt her with some cooked egg yolk, big thing is to make sure she is drinking and appears alert. But you don't know what type of muscle damage, internal bruising, etc your dog did. It's doubtful you bird just laid still for a bath, she was probably being pinned down, might have been carried around, etc. Also check her a couple more times for any wounds you might have missed, swelling, infection, etc. and make sure the one you found is clean. Might give it a good spray of Blu-Kote or some other topical antiseptic (Neosporin is good, just nothing with -caine in the name).

4. ShadowsFIAL

ShadowsFIAL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    She isn't moving around that much... she doesn't want to eat or drink. i dripped some water from my hand into her mouth and she swallowed it like she normally does when she takes a drink, but then she waddled off back to the corner to lay down. She has really watery stool as well. I am thinking about going ahead and euthanizing her this evening when my husband comes home. Does anyone have any methods I could use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by