Chicken Attacked by Dog!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmaie892000, Mar 5, 2014.

1. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    My sweet girl Kiwi, was attacked by a dog yesterday. All of her tail and back feathers are gone. We took her to the vet and she also has 2 holes, one on her back and one in the back of her thigh, where the teeth went in, a gash on her stomach, and her thigh is shredded. They gave us three daily doses of painkillers (2 of which we have used) and a wound wash. She is desperate from the others, in a coop in the garage with a heat lamp. She is alert, and she has eaten and drank, mostly yesterday. Luckily none of the wounds have head muscles, except maybe the holes, and if they did, it was very cleanly. I'm most worried about her thigh, the fat and skin is really torn up. I will post pictures verrry soon, I just want lots of advice on how to make sure she survives and heals well. Somebody recommended Vetyricin wounds spray? (Spelling probably not right). Any other suggestions for care, warning signs, etc? This is my first time caring for an injured chicken!

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    How is she doing today?
    Chickens can be really tough sometimes! Best advice I can give is to keep the wound clean and give her extra treats while her body is healing itself. I prefer to use the spray, its easier than trying to apply creams.

3. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    I will get some right away thanks for helping! She is still doing good :)

4. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Glad to hear she is doing well!
    I had a hen (Dory) get attacked by a hawk, peeled the skin right down her back, feathers and all. She was just a bloody mess! Took about 4 weeks and she was well enough to return to the flock! I really didn't think she was gonna make it at first, but she had other plans!! I did give her antibiotics for the first 10 days, to ward off an infection. Honestly don't know if it was necessary but I had it already.

5. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Awesome. We have antibiotics in her water :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by