Chicken attacked by dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twinmom+1VT, Dec 17, 2010.

1. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    We had 2 dogs come on our property and kill 2 of our chickens and injure a 3rd. Fortunately 3 other chickens survived fine. These dogs went on to attack a sheep at our neighbors and fatally wound 3 pigs at another farm. Anyway, the chicken they injured is a Buff Orp. about 7 months old. She has a large wound on her back with feathers ripped out and torn skin. I brought her into our basement and put her into a dog crate filled with straw. She ate and drank for me. I was worried about her getting pecked at and also not being warm enough (it's getting into the teens here at night). What else can I do for her? How should I clean the wound? Poor chickies.

The ones that were killed were a beautiful Aurucana and my favorite, a Golden Comet who was the friendliest chicken and my best egglayer.

Sad day.

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Defiantly clean the wound. Put some kind of ointment on the wound to help keep out infection, like: Vaseline, antibiotic ointment, etc.
    If you have any other chickens I would keep her separated. Maybe even use an injectable antibiotic.
    As far as the heat, maybe someone else can help. I don't personally use a heat lamp. If the chicken is very bad I will bring it inside for warmth. Chickens can eventually heal from massive injuries if given good care.

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i'm very sad for you.... [​IMG]
    poor chickens....
    the injured one can be saved but i would definitely bring her in so you can keep an eye on her.
    cleaning her wounds with betadine or other disinfecting solution is a good start and polysporin has worked great for me..
    1 cc of propen under the skin would take care of any infection she might have gotten from her attack.
    good luck and keep us posted

4. twinmom+1VT

twinmom+1VT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    Vermont
    She survived the night which is great and again ate and drank well for me this morning. I'm going to take a good look at the wound this morning. I didn't want to poke around too much last night since i thought she was already stressed enough. I'll clean up the loose feathers and then use some dilute betadine as well as antibiotic ointment (neosporin okay? or does it have to be specifically for chickens?). As far as her happiness goes, will she be too stressed staying in the basement in a large dog crate when she's used to free ranging all day? Can I let her out with the other chickens and then bring her back in at night?

Thanks for all your help and advice [​IMG]

5. kmclay

kmclay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Kansas
    I'd let her out, but watch to see if the other chickens peck at her. Poor girl. I had a possum and a dog (my own!) attack and kill several chickens. Some survived, some did not. It depends on how deep the wounds are. Maybe Neosporin and just pour some peroxide on her wounds. So sorry you lost a few. I know that hurts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by