1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken attacked by other ones; what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blackberry18, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    One of my Leghorns was attacked by one or more of my other girls and is bleeding pretty bad. Her whole neck and head is covered in blood, I'm pretty sure she's bleeding from her comb, but not sure. I separated her from the others and gave her food and water and cleaned her up a bit, but she's pretty bloody still. I'm having trouble getting all the blood out of her feathers, and I'm worried that when I put her back, they'll still pick on her if she has any sign of blood. She seems fine, a little quiet, but she's calm and was even cleaning herself. What to do?

2. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    You may want to keep her separate for a day or so, to let her get her bearings. There are many products to disguise wounds to prevent picking. One of those is called Blu-Kote. Meantime, you may want to figure out why she was bullied so much. Over-crowding? Lack of enough feeding stations? Is she ill? One bad bully in the coop? Good luck!

3. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm actually not sure. She used to be one of the more dominant hens, but now she's slipped to the bottom. They get enough food, and aren't overcrowded at all; but they have been cooped up for the last week because of cold weather, so that could be the cause of it. When I put her back, should I separate her in a see-but-don't-touch or just but her right in?

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Maybe put her back at night when they're sleeping, and try to be there when they wake up to observe what's going on.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by