Chicken Attacked By Unknown

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LewisFamily, Dec 29, 2013.

1. LewisFamily

LewisFamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Left town for Christmas (chickens in care of family friends). Got back today, and one of the girls has a NASTY wound on the neck and upper "shoulder". It is torn down to the meat. However it looks like an older (2-4 days) and is not bleeding. It is all scabbed up, but she still has a gaping hole. There is no active bleeding or pus or liquid of any kind. She is moving around just fine. Cull or not?! :-(

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't cull her. Chickens have a great ability to heal from significant skin wounds. It sounds as if the others are leaving her alone, but I would keep an eye on that. If she survives, the gaping hole will gradually fill in with granulation tissue.

3. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Ok. I was reading through alot of posts, and really didnt want to cull her. I just couldnt bring myself to do it, since she is moving and she has almost self-segregated herself. Thanks for the post!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep us posted as to her progress. One thing that you don't have to worry about this time of year is fly strike. On second thought, see that you are in Texas. If the temps increase make sure that the flies don't get at her.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    Ok. Thanks so much!

6. LewisFamily

Aug 26, 2013
    Hawkins, Texas
    She has healed great. Never in my wildest dreams did I think she would recover from that. But she is perfectly fine. Crazy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by