Chicken attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AMC4220, Jun 28, 2016.

1. AMC4220

AMC4220 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Our girls were attacked by 3 raccoons 2 nights ago. We lost 3,1 wasnt hurt and 2 had their beaks chewed off. My 2 small kids were with me when we found them so I couldn't inspect them very well to see just how much was gone but it looked bad. I had asked our neighbor to come but the 2 injured girls down so they wouldn't suffer, but when he got here he said he would take them and see if they could recover. Since then they've been drinking on their own not sure if they have eaten or not since we can't watch them 24/7. I guess what I'm asking is if I should hold out hope or should I be putting my poor girls out of their misery?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Chickens can recover from some amazingly devastating injuries. The living ones aren't the ones with the beaks chewed off were they?

3. AMC4220

AMC4220 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Yes they were. Like I said from what I saw it looked pretty bad but my neighbor had some faith in them and 2 days later they are still alive aND drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by