Chicken attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teresamum24, Jul 8, 2016.

1. teresamum24

teresamum24 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    England
    My friends dog attacked my chicken im gutted I've cleaned her wombs with saline water she is in a fog crate in my house. Im really worried that she has got a flapping piece of skin from her neck there hardly any bleeding etc
    Can anyone help advise she is a pet.[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC!

Poor girl.
    You can apply some Vetericyn Spray or plain neosporin to the wounds, I would not cover/bandage the wounds, just apply your spray/ointment.
    Infection is always a concern. I know see you are in England, so antibiotics are not as available to you like they are in the US, so you may want to have a plan in place if she needs meds (gets an infection), if you have a vet that can readily get them for you if needed, that would be good.

You can add some electrolytes/vitamins to her water, encourage her to drink, hydration is important. Feed her what she will eat, but try to get her normal feed into her or higher protein foods like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Let us know how she's doing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. teresamum24

teresamum24 New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    England
    Hi thanks for your reply. Unfortunately she passed away this afternoon [​IMG]. Absalutly gutted. Thanks again for your help.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for you loss.

1 person likes this.
  5. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Darn...so very sorry.... =(

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by