Chicken attacked!

JuliePoole

Chirping
Sep 15, 2018
I went out to shut my coop tonight and found one of my poor hens plucked, wet, and in a horrible state! I'm not sure what attacked her (possibly my dog or woodland preditor) but she was at least alive. I cleaned her up put some medicine and bandages on her and put her in a clean dry container in our shed. I blow dryer her and she finally seemed to snap out of her shock state some and pecked a little at her food and water. Tomorrow I'm going to put a saddle/apron on her. Is there any more I should do? How long will it take for her back feathers to grow back? I'm so sad

Photo would be nice so we can see what’s going on. You should do a complete examination of her top to bottom front to back all the way down to her skin go slowly take your time if you find wounds it’s best to trim a perimeter around it. Take photos of what you find. I don’t know if you’ll want to treat any injuries or if your able to take her to the vet.
It all depends on what you find in your examination.
Electrolytes are always good to add to her water at this point even if she has no injuries (that would be the luckiest chicken ever) she had a shock and that with stress is enough to sometimes push them over the edge.
So let us know what you find. Best wishes

How is she doing today?
If you can post some photos of her wounds that would be helpful.

It sounds like you did a good job taking care of her. The heat from the dryer warmed her, that was a good idea.

Check her very well for hidden puncture wounds if you think a dog got a hold of her, sometimes you may find one or two underneath the chicken as well. Depending on the extent of the wounds, bandaging them may be counterproductive. Most wounds do better when exposed to air. You need to have her where flies can't get onto the wounds, even though the weather is cooling, there are plenty still around. FlyStrike would be your worry - this is when a fly lays eggs on a wound and the maggots hatch and begin invading a wound - the maggots can do a lot of damage quickly and compound your problem.

Keep us posted.

Photo would be nice so we can see what’s going on. You should do a complete examination of her top to bottom front to back all the way down to her skin go slowly take your time if you find wounds it’s best to trim a perimeter around it. Take photos of what you find. I don’t know if you’ll want to treat any injuries or if your able to take her to the vet.
It all depends on what you find in your examination.
Electrolytes are always good to add to her water at this point even if she has no injuries (that would be the luckiest chicken ever) she had a shock and that with stress is enough to sometimes push them over the edge.
So let us know what you find. Best wishes

I totally meant to take photos I was just so upset. Today she seemed a tiny bit perkier. I redressed her wounds and made my first saddle/apron, it didn't turn out too bad for a first try. I'm hoping it adds a bit of extra protection. I let her walk about a bit then returned her to her clean container. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• 20180917_113638.jpg
    20180917_113638.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180917_113645.jpg
    20180917_113645.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 19
Check her wounds daily since you have them wrapped, you don't want them to get moldy, infested or infected.

Poor girl looks a bit under the weather. If you have poultry vitamins add those to her water or use them to make a wet mash out of her feed. Extra protein like egg, tuna or a little beef liver would be good too.

I hope she heals quickly.

She seems to be in good spirits today. A little more active when I changed her dressings. I've attached pictures. I'm hoping the green color is just from bleed from the green apron and neosporin getting on it. No smells and I'm trying to keep dressed to keep flys away.

Attachments

• 20180918_101422.jpg
    20180918_101422.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180918_102151.jpg
    20180918_102151.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom