Chicken attacked

pudgeson

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
My chihuahua attacked my chicken 2 days ago. I've been syringe feeding her water and feed the past two days. All she really does is sleep and she moves around a little. I'm a first time chicken owner and I'm very worried. I've been putting antibiotics on her wounds. I'm just worried since all she does is sleep and doesn't eat on her own. She also has trouble moving around when she readjusts herself. I have her inside my house. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Do you have any pictures?
IMG_0366.JPG

If you are using antibiotic ointment on her wounds, be sure it does not have pain medication in it. Is the wound on her head the only injury? Have you opened up her feathers and checked all over for other injuries?

If you are using antibiotic ointment on her wounds, be sure it does not have pain medication in it. Is the wound on her head the only injury? Have you opened up her feathers and checked all over for other injuries?
its just on her head. i looked over her body. i've been using neosporin. i wonder if something happened to her neck or if she just normally sleeps like that. i don't really want to move it because she does when she is awake but then moves it back to that same spot

also there are injuries on both sides so i do move her head a little to put neosporin on the other side

Have you seen her stretch any wings or legs, or stand at all? Might be something broken. Vids of Pros caring for injured Birds ar eon You-Tube. May be worth a look. Sounds like you are doing what you can, Hugs!

Have you seen her stretch any wings or legs, or stand at all? Might be something broken. Vids of Pros caring for injured Birds ar eon You-Tube. May be worth a look. Sounds like you are doing what you can, Hugs!
she does stretch her wings and legs and sometimes stands for a bit. i just wish it would be a faster process than what it is right now. i wonder if it will just take awhile for her to get better but i do see improvements. i just am extremely worried

Last year my favorite hen, wondered down my grandparents and some how ended up inside of their house for 4 or 5 hrs, with 2 small dogs. She was bit on her upper thigh and abdomen. I separated her, in a large dog crate, in the coop with food and water. Applied nitrofurazone powder (what I had on hand) to the wounds, and left her to mend for 2 weeks. I had to syringe electrolyte water in her mouth, the first couple days. She was in shock and wouldn't eat. She had a slight gimp, but recovered well. She was one of my favorite chicken, sadly I lost her to a coon not long after that incident. Sounds to me like you are doing everything possible for your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom