Chicken attacked?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Honeeluv, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Honeeluv

Honeeluv Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    One of my hens was attacked by a fox yesterday. We were able to track the fox/hen down and get the hen back, but the hen has a broken leg (at the hip) and a few bite wounds. I have seperated her from the other chickens and I tried to give her food and water. She just lays around and won't eat or drink.

Here is my question.

What do you think would be best for this chicken? [​IMG]

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    give her a few days to recover from the attach. Try to get her to eat, yogurt, scrambled eggs and if she has any bites,maybe pedialyte and some vitamins. I had a vet tell me recently to feed stage 1 baby food for vitamins.

I am sure other will chime in.
    If she is suffering, then cull.

I hope she does better.

3. Honeeluv

Jul 24, 2011
    Anyone else?

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:x2 Polyvisol infant vitamins without iron helps too.

5. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    So sorry to hear that, I may not have any other advice but hope she is okay. I think it is truly amazing that you were able to track her down and get her back! That is just awesome.
    We lost my three favorite hens last year to a fox so I feel your pain and wish the best for your sweet girl!

Quote:

6. Honeeluv

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was able to get my chicken to eat some yogurt, but unfortunately I had to to what I had to do. She was just too miserable [​IMG]
    She was one of my favorite chickens [​IMG]

Gotta get that fox [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    So sorry to hear that. I feel your pain, I lost my three favorite hens last year. And then one of our sweet, sweet, cochin today. She had been ill (we think) and hope it was not heat realated but she was found today in the coop dead. So sorry, I know that is hard. Get the darn fox! They are so sly!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by