1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Michael4891, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Michael4891

Michael4891 New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    I need some help I have a few chickens one of my 4 month old wheatons tried to fight my dogs could imagine who lost the fight well anyway there doesn't look like there is to much damage some small open cuts and areas where som feathers where torn off the back she is in a lot of stressed I isolated her so she can calm down and relax a bit I cleaned the wounds pretty well but what is the best thing for pain cause I'm sure it don't feel well having your skin and feathers torn off your back by two pits and a mastiff surprised she even survived she only did cause we broke them up in time this is the first time this has ever happened and I have had the dogs and chickens for over 2 years together but this Wheatonthinks he is Rocky poor guy lost big time I need help I feel so bad and don't want to have to watch the chicken suffer

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock! [​IMG] Did you irrigate the wounds with warm water iodine, saline or peroxide mixed 50/50 with water? After that is done and dry, you can put triple antibiotic without pain killer in/on all the wounds. Chickens handle pain/injury better than the stress/shock of an attack. Be sure and keep him in a calm dark environment. Leave just enough light for him to see food and water. Make sure he is drinking! That is more important than eating tonight. You can use a spoon, dropper or syringe to keep him hydrated if he is not drinking on his own. You can, if you really think he is hurting, give him an 81mg baby aspirin cut into quarters.(If he'll eat it). From the wounds you described it doesn't sound like he really needs any. Calm, quiet, dark, warm and hydrated is best right now. Let us know how he is tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by