Chicken attacking another Chicken??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Necklace, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello..

I have a group of 9 Chickens.. one rooster and 8 hens... they are all different breeds.. I am having trouble right now with one of my hens.. She is a Necked-neck chicken... I have two.. they usually stick together and stay in the coop they don't like to leave.. well they are both loosing feathers on there backs but one is loosing them fast.. her whole back is bare and the feathers on her wings are breaking ... not falling out... I caught another hen and my rooster cornering her in the coop and peeking on her head and sides.. I broke it up and I am going to put my two necked-neck chickens together since they get along the best.. I have them in a smaller coop.. I am free ranging them but I am thinking of keeping the two totally closed in from the others..

Does anyone know why the other chickens would be attacking her and if it is a good idea to keep them totally separate from the rest of the group?

any help would be great.. Those two hens are my babies and I don't want them to get hurt... :(

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    If they are much lower in the pecking order,they could just be bullying her,but flocks like to take down weaklings (AKA sick birds).
    She could possibly be weak,and they just do it because.I currently have a hen who's,oh i'd say,mid pecking order?Black hens seems to hate her and all,but your problem is much more severe.I suggest on seperating the 2 bullies,or the two turkens/naked necks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    ok... I will keep the two away from the rest of the group the other hens would be lost without the rooster even though I wanted to kick his feathered rear for hurting the other hen.. I just hope they do ok being caged up full time... but at least they will not be bothered and maybe she can grow her feathers back and get her strength back up.. she is such a sweet bird and I would hate for something to happen to her...

Thank you for the advice.. :)

4. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Your welcome.I understand your situation,went threw with my hen a nd I overreacted though,do it ALL the time.(Not saying you overreacted,just thought you'd think I was hiding saying your over reacting.)

5. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    ok... last night I kept my two naked-necks separate from the rest of the group and did not let them out of the small coop this morning.. the one that is feeling a bit better wanted out.. she was going a little crazy... the one that has been pecked was just laying in her sitting spot not moving... I had to open the top hatch of the coop to check and make sure she was alive... she moved and looked up at me when I touched her wing but she would not eat any of the bread I gave her.. I give it to them every morning and she usually loves it... I will have to keep an eye on her and hope she perks up.. :( The Rooster was not happy that he could see into there coop but not get to them.. he and the other bully hen jumped on top of the coop and started pecking around trying to get in... :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by