Chicken attacking me, why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cluckcluckeroo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Cluckcluckeroo

Cluckcluckeroo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Hi all, im new to BYC and raising chickens myself for the first time. Last April my dad got me five chicks for easter and ive been raisin them since. They're all very sweet. I have 1 Dominique looking rooster, 1 Golden Pencil Hamburg girl, and 3 other girls that look like cornish or cornish mixed. I dont know the breed for sure.
    One of the cornish ladies has become very aggressive. She will peck and pull at my pants and kick me, causing her to scratch me. And her neck feathers flare up as if shes about to fight me. Sometimes when im just walking normally, she'll just run up and attack me. And sometimes I walk too close to her. Ive researched why shes acting like this. Ive read that its possible that she may be a rooster or that she may be broody, but shes not laying eggs right now. Ive also read that picking her up, covering her eyes, holdin her upside down, using a herding stick, or even separating her from the flock works. Ive not used any of those methods yet but I have tried the herding stck.... and it didnt work 
    ive worn different types of pants and shoes but she still attacks, whereas the others just peck curiously then leave.
    These attackss are frustrating. Am I perhaps at the bottom of the pecking order? Is she stressed?
    Another thing. The chickens shy away from me when i try to pet them. They walk around me and all but wont let me hold em or pet them. How can I fix this? :)

Give me your thoughts please! I dont want my parents turning her (or it) into soup :'(
    Thanks in advance :D

2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    sounds like its probably a rooster. We have had a few like that, I was really iffy about the idea of killing them at first, but I got used to it. Id rather that than be attacked every time I try to feed them. There probably isnt much you can do to stop attacks. Holding them upside will calm them down for a minute, but it wont fix the next time. good luck with whatever you decide.. Ive started hoping to have mean roosters so I can make mean rooster stew [​IMG]

3. Cluckcluckeroo

Cluckcluckeroo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    Hahaha :D alright thank you :)
    I guess ill try calming it down and if that doesnt fix the situation I guess ill throw him/her/it into the pot :)
    Thanks again! :D

4. LesGus5

LesGus5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    Northern California
    My mottled houdan is getting quite aggressive with me too. She will run up behind me and peck my legs/boots if I do anything, she gets more aggressive. I know she is a hen as she lays an egg every other day (white eggs make it easy to track with all the brown layers in my coop)....and my other gals aren't really laying right now. I pick her up and carry her. I tell her no. She has bitten and drawn blood on my hand and once on my stomach while I was holding her and turned to do something. I usually just grab her and lock her in the side run while my kids are out or if I need to do something in the yard or coop. Luckily picking her up is easy since her head feathers make it hard for her to see me coming from behind/above. She has only been laying for about 2 months, so I am hoping she is just hormonal and will calm down. I try to ignore her and or bring treats to distract her. [​IMG]
    This is Tink the stinker on a rainy day at the door

5. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Last spring I got 4 chickens, these were our first big ones, we've had 2 Serama hens as pets for several years, but both of those were hand raised and very tame and docile. I read a lot about rooster behavior on here and decided to go with the "Utter and Complete Humiliation" method of behavior modification. [​IMG] 2 of my 4 chickens turned out to be roos, and as they were growing up, as often as possible I would grab them by the legs and hold them cradled in one arm while doing my feeding and other chores. This has worked wonderfully for us, or me anyway. DH and DS couldn't be convinced to carry roos around like babies and goo-goo-ga-ga to them. [​IMG] I would hold the boys until they were so totally humiliated and demoralized that their only recourse was to fall asleep and hope that when they awoke the nightmare would have ended. Barney is second in command and he challenges nobody, Bandit is our dominant SLW boy and he will challenge both DH and DS, but if I so much as give him the stink eye and say" " Who is mommy's widdle baby?" he will run the other way. So far I have never been challenged, scratched, pecked or anything. I would think this would also work for hens, as it seems to be a matter of establishing yourself unquestionably at the top of the pecking order, but it is something that I think should be done from the time they are very young.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nap time.

6. LesGus5

LesGus5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2014
    Northern California
    He
    He's a beauty. We have had Tink since she was a chick and she has been handled A LOT. When she first started pecking me I used to think she just wanted to be picked up. I have carried her a ton of times and she clucks and I talk to her. She doesn't mind being held at all, but I certainly can't get anything dome while holding a chicken. I just don't know when she will decide to bite. She has just gotten increasingly pecky... flapping her wings at my boots. I think she has multiple personalities. She has pecked the boots of my kids too, but now I don't give her the opportunity. Our girls are free range most of the day, and they all follow me around. Her sister Leah is the bottom of the pecking order and just the sweetest thing. None of our other gals peck any of us. In fact, one of our RIR's pecked Tink yesterday as she pecked my boot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by