Chicken attcked by dog

Carrissa Demery

Hatching
Sep 15, 2017
2 days ago my dog went after one of my chickens. I have looked at her from head to toe and I don't see anything hurting or bleeding. The thing is is she won't eat or walk. She just lays there in the sun sleeping. When 3 days prior she was running around and is fairly hard to catch. I don't understand how she can go from running around and spunky to not moving or eating. She will walk if I make her (pushing my hand underneath her to make her go) and she will drink a few drops but that's it.....I'm at a loss here......

Thoughts:
Internal injuries?
Broken bones?
Can you find any bruising?
I have done the squeeze test. I've pulled her wings out, they retract back in normally. I've felt her neck, legs, head, back and chest. I've even lifted her tail feathers to see if anything was cut or bleeding and nothing. All I can say is she never let me hold her before. I had to chase her down to even get close. Now since that happened she don't move and doesn't mind me picking her up. Also I might add the dog wasn't attacking her. She was trying to play with the chicken and jump on her back and made her roll over. I just seen some feather in the yard so I'm assuming she was chasing after her and maybe tried to nip at her to play. That's when I came out and notice the dog smelling the chicken I walked over and seen that she was breathing and alive with no blood or anything.

I'd gently put her on my lap on her back and part her feathers to look for bruising or redness under the skin. A small amount could just be " a bruise" a large amount of dark or bright red with or without swelling could be more serious internal damage. I'd also feel her skull bones. Do they feel right? she may just be traumatized but if the dog outweighs the chicken and he jumped on her back there may be something broken that's preventing her from moving much. Pain is natures way of making you not move the thing that's injured.
Definitely isolate her in a crate with food and water for the day for observation and rest.

Back
Top Bottom