CHICKEN AUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barred rock, Jul 26, 2008.

1. barred rock

barred rock Out Of The Brooder

last night i went to a chicken auction in royston GA and bought a pair of BB red bantrams for 3$ and an arocona hen for 4.50 but the person i went with was a regular visitor and he said that the week before he bought a farely large set of stalls for 10$ and a sid thompson hen for 3 so is this a rare thing that i need to keep attending or is it just a regular.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Well there is allways a good deal at auctions sometimes its ducks or turkeys or what ever,you never know what the bidders will do.
    sometimes things go for alot more depends on how bad someone wants something.
    I go to one every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month cause its like a block away and have seen alot of good deals,if only i had more pens.I may not allways buy something but i get a idea how much things go for and what the bidders will bid alot for.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Be careful, I bought 6 lovely birds that ended up being egg-eaters. I think that's why the person was selling them at the auction.

4. Chickenoregg

Chickenoregg New Egg

Jun 23, 2008
    I've heard good things about the Royston auction. Still haven't made it there though. Was it mostly hens or were there chicks too? I have some chicks I may want to place in new homes! Not sure at this point if they are hens or roosters, so might be hard to sell.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just a word of warning about going to auctions. First, the month long quarantine of the birds you get, what I'm always harping on. Secondly, when you come home, spray your shoes with a disinfectant and take off your clothes and wash them before you go near you birds or walk around your property. Actually, the same thing applies just going to feedstores about the shoes. You'd be surprised what you can track home with you. Dont want anymore heartache over sick birds that might be prevented. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion! Carry on...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  6. kris0110

kris0110 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Jefferson, Ga
    Where is this Auction located in Royston and what day please?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. kris0110

kris0110 New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Jefferson, Ga
    Well there is allways a good deal at auctions sometimes its ducks or turkeys or what ever,you never know what the bidders will do.

sometimes things go for alot more depends on how bad someone wants something.

I go to one every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month cause its like a block away and have seen alot of good deals,if only i had more pens.I may not allways buy something but i get a idea how much things go for and what the bidders will bid alot for.
    [/quote Do you have address for the auction in Royston ga?

8. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I have mix feelings.

People make good Money for bad birds.

Disease,bad eggs layed etc.I would attend it for the supplies,and possibly a hen every time I lost birds.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I would sell chickens at an auction, but, I would never, never buy at an auction. And I would probably wear flip flops so I could throw them away. I would also wash my clothing as soon as I got home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by