chicken "baby"sitter...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchick13, Aug 17, 2011.

1. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    My friend and I cover each other's flocks while on vacation, but she won't be available for me next time we travel. I already have a dog/house sitter who will be here but she's not comfortable handling the chickens. I do have a couple of options but want to pay them for their time...anyone have any suggestions on a dollar amount?

2. wnthunting

wnthunting Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    ny
    Tell them they can keep the eggs they collect...that's what I do [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I paid $5 a day to my nephew and he kept the eggs too. That was for his father to drive him over (5 miles away) each day to feed, water, and collect eggs. I took my chances on leaving the pop door open the whole week. If it was a a neighbor that only had to walk across the street I think I would start with just offer all the eggs to them. I know most any one of my neighbors would do it for that. Also if it were reversed I would do that for any one of my neighbors too. Bottom line if just think about how much time/travel/trouble it would be if you were that person and let that guide you on how much it would be worth if you were the one doing it all.

4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I paid $150 for someone to look after my chickens for ten days.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    We are going away in nov and I found a ladies name at the local feed store. She is an animal lover. She lives 15 min away. She called yesterday, she is charging 25 dollars a day to feed and water my cats, fish, hermit crabs, gerbils and hamsters as well as 44 chickens, she will come twice daily to let out, collect eggs and put up for night. She was worried it would be too much $$ but I think it is ok if not too little. She is new to chickens but wants to learn and they are really not hard. I am giving her my eggs while gone too. She has come to visit once and wants to come get to know them better 2 more times at least. We are boarding the dogs, too much, and one is old, I can't only let them out twice daily, so kennel is better to me.

6. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    JT..you are getting a bargain! I have 2 dogs (one 100lb black lab and one 12 lb cockapoo) and 2 guinea pigs...My house sitter gets $50 a night to stay over and take care of them as well as water plants and get mail! Granted we live in Westchester County NY, but still not a bad gig..we have an amazing house to boot! Thanks for all the suggestions!

7. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    We used the neighbors kids who loved evry minute of it for 12 days. 10$ a day

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I have 2 cats, 2 yippy dogs, and fourteen chickens. My housesitter stays here, gets the mail, takes care of the animals, waters the plants for $100 a week. For $50 a night I'd tell her to get over her chicken aversion!

9. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I paid my neighbors daughter $100 to feed/water my dogs, let them out, and to take care of the chickens for 7 days. I gave instructions on what to do with the birds, but I lost 7 out of 16 juvie chicks. Make sure they know what they are doing and what to look for if they look "sick".. She moved a brick that was level for the waterer to sit on.. They were out of water within minutes each day. Lost my babies to dehydration. When she called and said 2 were dead this morning (mid week) I asked if the rest looked ok. She said yes, came home 3 days later to 3 more dead and the rest were almost dead. I managed to save 8. Next year, I will definately find someone that at least has the common sense to listen when I say "do not move the bricks. the waterers are pressurized and will just empty if on a slant".. Sorry for the rant, but $100 lost for maybe $30 of work.

10. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

We have one of our vet techs do it for us. We paid her $35 a day to let the birds out, check the feed and water, head count, lock them up and gather eggs. She takes any and all eggs she gathers. She also checks the house/mail, makes sure kitties have food and water and clean sandbox, gives them all attention <all 4> and gives Stimpy his meds daily. She also peeks in on the hermit crabs and makes sure they have water/food etc.

It's worth it for the peace of mind. We know if ANYTHING medical happens, she has the background to know what to do and knows all the info to take the kitties in if needed. She also talks to another vet tech regarding the chickens...the other one raises chickens and has for a long while, so anything chicken medical related she contacts her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by