Chicken Babysits Broody's Nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hedwig Chicken, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Chirping

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    So I have a broody (Ginny) sitting on 8 fertilized eggs.
    the broody.PNG
    So anytime she gets off her Nest, Nugget , who isn't broody, comes and sits on that Nest, even if she has previously laid an egg that day.
    2nd in command.PNG
    This doesn't really bother me, au contraire, I think it is very sweet.

Just wandering if anyone has observed this behavior in their flock. Ginny was the boss hen and Nugget was always second in command

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's cute.

I do wonder if she is sitting on them because they are warm? I don't have any broodies at this time, but have a girl that is not laying at all right now, but she consistently goes and sits on fresh laid warm eggs - especially if it's cold outside - I've often wondered if this is her way of getting warmed up - not only is the egg warm, but the nest would be a bit warmer too.

3. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Chirping

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    True maybe. Never thought of it.

Stayc and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You never know! Your girl may just be playing broody. Mine is out there right this minute waiting for Helen (a PWR) to lay here egg, as soon as Helen's done she will pop her behind on that egg for about 20minutes and then she's good to go - LOL I can't help but get tickled at her (I have a camera in my coop so I can watch) - anytime a girl gets in a box, there's Lucy just waiting.....[​IMG]

5. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Chirping

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    You have a camera in your coop? THAT IS AWESOME!!! I wish I had one, I come out every 30 minutes to check on my flock.

I just find it cute and I was curious if anyone else's chickens do this. It's still a win-win on both sides: Eggs are warm and chicken too! :D

6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That is so cute. :love I would keep an eye on Nugget once Ginny’s eggs hatch as Nugget could get over zealous trying to parent the chicks and she might hurt them.

Stayc and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. Junochick

Junochick Songster

Jun 10, 2017
    Globe arizona
    I had a young silkie decide to go broody, I wasn't sure how she would do. I let her have 2 eggs to sit on I found my banty Cochin hanging out with her and sitting with her. Not sure the Cochin is broody. So one chick hatched and it appears they are co mothering this chick. It is so sweet to watch them. Silkie mom picks up chick food drops it and calls baby to eat it. Here is the part I don't understand the other rotten egg was found all the way across the yard! How did those girls do that? Chicken really are amazing.

8. Hedwig Chicken

Hedwig Chicken Chirping

Nov 29, 2017
    Canada, Québec
    Well, I doubt it. She isn't a really broody breed. It's -10°C outside, I think she is trying to warm up her booty ;). I will keep a close eye on the chicks either way.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Does Nugget willingly leave when Ginny comes back to her nest?
    Great story, hope you update this thread as hatch day nears and passes.

10. flappychicken

flappychicken Chirping

Nov 16, 2017
    NH
    AWW!!! That's so cute!!! I have had one broody hen but we did not have a rooster... soo...

I think that they might be bored and sitting on eggs is something to keep them occupied.

also they could be friends and keeping eachother warm or in company is fine.

or maybe they made a deal so no one "mom" would have to sit on eggs for the whole time.

Stayc and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: