Chicken Babysitter?

User48

Songster
12 Years
Aug 1, 2007
After working from a home office for six years, I'm in the process of accepting a new job. I know my kids are well-situated and will be fine, and because of our very isolated location I'm looking forward to the social aspects of office life. What I'm most worried about is how my backyard flock will manage without my multiple daily jaunts to the backyard. Since mornings are going to be particularly harried, and I'll be working some relatively long hours at least a few days per week, I also think it would be helpful to have someone on hand to rely upon for morning feeding/watering, etc. For those of you who work full-time and are not around all day, do you hire anyone to look in on your flock & handle some of the chores? I've got about 50 birds now, primarily silkies divided up by color in several different large free range areas. With that in mind, what do you think would be a fair price to pay someone to look in and look after my cheeps? There is a neighborhood girl who is very responsible & very much an animal lover - she's just entering high school & could use some extra money. I'm thinking approximtely $50 per week for approximately 45min - 1 hour of time per day (week days only).

Feedback from those who've "been there" would be helpful.

Thanks!

Laura

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that having someone in, as long as you are are comfortable with them, would take a lot of worry and work from you.

As for the price, it would equal $200. a month extra spending money, and/or savings, for the girl, which would be a good deal for her, too.

I've only done it for short jaunts, when I have to go somewhere (Hardly ever.) but it worked well. To me it sounds win-win.
smile.png

I've 'babysat' peoples' pets like that in the neighborhood for similar pay - that being around the valley, lol. I'd say as long as you are comfortable with that person you have in mind being around your stuff and your animals, it should be fine.

It's nice that you want to hire someone, but do you think you absolutely need to? With a few modifications, I think you could easily take the job and care for your flock. For instance, you could feed and water at sundown, after the birds are in bed, instead of in the morning. That's what I do. DH and I both work full time, so I do all the chicken chores in the evening. Not saying you shouldn't hire someone. I think it's great to do that if you can afford it. These are tough times, though, and if you want to save money, a little forethought will probably take you a long way! Good luck with the job, whatever you decide!
clap.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom