Chicken badly hurt, still alive...unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolinek, Aug 7, 2014.

1. carolinek

carolinek New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    i live in a neighborhood with plenty of chickens. my sister found this one outside, pretty badly hurt on the underside. it is breathing well, and there is no continuous external bleeding i can see. it just snuggles up in my hand for warmth and keeps its eyes closed. i dnt know if those are organs sticking out or if the poor things skin was just taken off by the crop/heart. sometimes theres this little clicking noise when its heart beats or it breaths. it flops around sometimes when i leave it alone too long and chirps till i pickit up again. does this chick needd stitches?

sorry about the typos, im doing this one handed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried hard to get clear pictures of it, but its fur is stuck in the cut. Theres this little round thing that is hard and bony that is sticking out and doesnt have any fur on it, which i think is the crop. Is there anything i can do for this chick? it didnt struggle too much when i put it on its back.

2. carolinek

carolinek New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    And it is still alive lol it looks pretty dead but it isnt lol

3. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    Poor little baby, at that age give it heat, food, water, and a stress-free, clean environment. It will either heal and be ok or it won't, but babies can survive a lot of crazy stuff! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by