chicken barely walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarver, Nov 16, 2014.

1. scarver

scarver New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    We have a chicken that is a couple years old who can barely walk or stand. We have to get her out of the coop every morning and place her in the pen. She can grip the perch with her feet and her legs seem like they have normal warmth to them, she can also move/walk a little but it is hard for her to do and she has to flap her wings to do so. When she stands her tail is down in the roachback position. She eats and drinks normally and has also been vaccinated against Mareks disease. We have absolutely no idea what is wrong with her and she doesn't seem to be in pain but it's hard to tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    If she is older then 4 she is an old hen.Old hens get authoriteist a lot.And hers may be worser then mosts or she is truly sick.Is she gasing for breath?Anything could be wrong.Is she lonely, or does she have friends?She may be stressed.Other hens/roosters will put others into stress.

3. scarver

scarver New Egg

Nov 16, 2014
    She's only about 2 to 2.5 years old and she has three other hen mates. She was the head of the flock and they don't pick on her so there shouldn't be any stress from that and as far as I can tell her breathing is fine, she doesn't gasp for breath and her mouth stays closed most of the time so she doesn't pant unless it's hot out and she's trying to cool herself down, but since it's been getting cooler she has no need to pant and I haven't seen her do it so all in all her breathing looks and sounds normal. I'll try to post a video of her walking tomorrow so you can see exactly how she is.

4. scarver

scarver New Egg

Nov 16, 2014

The first 50 seconds are of her just standing there then she moves then sits. I hope the link works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by