Chicken Barn?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kyleharry16, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Kyleharry16

Kyleharry16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Hello my name is Kyle and I was hoping someone could help me. I am a furture chicken owner and I was woundering what would be a good chicken coop. I am going to get 35 Gold Sex Link chickens and I was woundering if I made one of our stalls in the barn into a chicken coop (make a door in the back so they could get out and fence it in) Do you think this is a good idea? Any suggestions? (limited buget)
    Thanks-
    Kyle

2. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    Sounds perfect to me! Keep them warm and dry in winter, air and sunshine in summer and they will be fine.

3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    How big is the stall? I'm wondering if it will be too small....

4. Kyleharry16

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't know we just bought the house but, I do know it held horses or cows in the stall.

5. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Stalls are usually 10x10 or 12x12. [​IMG] If you have a nice big run, the stall should be OK for a coop.

Can you really make it predator proof, though? I know that would be very difficult in my barn, which is older--nothing is square, LOL, and there are gaps and holes everywhere which would allow critters in. Can you post pix of the barn and the stall? [​IMG]

6. Kyleharry16

Jul 5, 2011
    It would be temperaly because like you said mine would be very hard to make animal proof........... Humm any ideas?

7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So this would be temporary? Do you already have the chickens? If not, maybe it would be better to wait until you can build something permanent.

The stall might work. Try to get pix to post (taken from inside as well as out).

8. Kyleharry16

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't have them yet. I am also on such a limited buget and I can't take a picture yet I am at my old house we havn't moved into the one with a barn yet.

9. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Well, you might be able to put up some hardware cloth (VERY securely attached--no staples!) to cover gaps. If you can get pix anytime soon post them and folks will have ideas. [​IMG]

10. Kyleharry16

Jul 5, 2011
    Ok will try my best prob. be 3 or 4 days and thanks for the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by