Chicken batch 2 days late

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QChickieMama, Sep 16, 2012.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    This is my first time trying to hatch a batch of chicken eggs in a still-air incubator w/o a turner. I've been turning them by hand 3x/day all this time. They were due to hatch yesterday, and not a pip in sight. The temp has varied a bit...mostly between 99-103. (It's just a stupid incubator. My better incubator is full.)

I don't think anything seriously went wrong that I can tell: temp never stayed super high for very long, they were turned every day, the RH was just right. And, they're eggs from my flock w/a proven rooster.

I'll wait a few more days, but I'm trying to learn what's what. Is a still-air incubator w/o a turner just an unworkable situation?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Did you stop turning the eggs and locked down on day 18?
    Your temperature went a bit high (103), which could be a problem, but it usually causes the eggs to hatch early. You can test the eggs for signs of life by floating them. Fill a bowl with warm water (100*) and gently place the eggs in there, one by one. If it's alive it'll move in the water. Hopefully they're o.k. and will hatch soon!

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No your temp if anything was too low. Just wait. You will probably be a few days late. In a still air your temp should be 101 at the top of the eggs. Take some out and candle to see if you see any life. If your temp didn't stay at 103 for very long that won't effect it. Make sure you get your humidity back up to 70% as soon as you are done candling. Let us know bow it goes.
    Fingers crossed for you.
    Michele

4. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Yes, I locked down on day 18 which was last Wed.

5. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    My goal for the temp was 101, but my thermometer was on the metal screen, and the eggs were in cardboard egg cartons a bit higher.

I'll check on the RH. Will try candling. Hopeful!!

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should always set the thermometer on top of the eggs in a still air. I hope it works out. It is all a learning process when you first start out. What I have learned is hens make better incubators on shipped eggs, plus they take care of the babies. Good luck

7. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Okey dokey. Taking note of that point.

My hens haven't gone broody that I've noticed. Don't know how to get that going. Does sound simpler!

8. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks for hoping with me, Michele, but there's nada. Zip. Zilch.

Out of 22 eggs, only 1 contained a partially developed chick and 1 had a dark area that was maybe something. The 20 other eggs weren't fertile. Ugh. Kinda bummed. Now it's too late in the season to try again.

9. kays chicks

kays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Derby UK
    I HAVE JUST STARTED A NEW THREAD THE VERY SAME !!!
    my hatch is 2 days late too and no sign of pip ???? , my temp was stable all the time and at lock down i candled and was movement so i have no clue why so late [​IMG]

10. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by