Chicken Bath Experience Poll

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Country Heart, Dec 8, 2009.

1. never bathed a chicken

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. bathed a chicken and we both enjoyed it

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. bathed a chicken and neither one of us enjoyed it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. bathed a chicken and only one of us enjoyed it

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

For those of you with experience - any tips for us first timers?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've only bathed a chicken once. My former roo, Zeus, got into the blue paint we were using to paint the coop. One of my hens, Bluey, got into it too; hence her name. Bluey didn't require bathing, just a quick wipe off, though she carried little traces of blue paint on her breast until she molted.
    Zeus had it all over his face, wattles, comb and breast. I used dawn dish soap and tried to be quick about it. He was unhappy, but cooperative.
    I put him back outside wet, since it was summertime.
    I got stinkeye BIG TIME every time he saw me for a good month aftewards.

3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Are you just washing them to be doing it or getting ready for a show???

The best advice I can give it make sure you have everything at hand before you start and have extra hands to help if needed. Use a hold that you can keep them from flapping their wings until the settle.

4. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I have bathed a chicken twice before because she was attaked by a dog and had dried blood on her. I would say to fill the tub with water as warm as you can stand it and the put the chicken in there but hold onto her!!! You should keep your hand under her at all times and especially keep her head above the water. The last bath I gave a chicken shortly after she settled into the water her whole boddy just relaxed and her head started to fall into the water. After the bath have a towel ready to wrap her up in and the blow dry her completely. My chicken especially enjoyed the blow drying part!!!!!!!

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've bathed my silkies on occasion for various reasons. Just recently two hens that were brooding had crushed an egg so it was stuck to their chests. You do want to make sure you have everything there before you bring them in. i use a rubbermaid dish pan filled with warm water. They struggle a bit when you first put them in. But from my experience, every one of them will settle down once they are in the warm water. i take them out right onto a towel and wrap them. Then into the bathroom and use a blow dryer on warm/low. i keep my hand between the dryer and the chicken at all times, so they don't get burned. Once they are almost dry they go into a carrier and placed in a warm room with a towel over the cage until they are fully dry.

6. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I tried it once. I will probably never do that again. My kids tried it and didn't mind it.

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Mine like the warm water and often fall asleep while being blown dry. They are the ones that like it. Me...I am all wet and find it back breaking by chicken #10 [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Not yet. Won't be long though, daughter has gotten into show birds.

The ridiculous things your kids get you into.

.....Alan.

9. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My egg-bound girl HATED her warm bath! It worked to get the egg out though, and she liked getting blown dry.

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

OK - guess I'm now in the experienced category. Bathed my first rooster today. He actually seemed to enjoy it. He was quite patient with me through the whole washing and blow drying process.

He really needed it as he has been in the chicken "hospital" for two plus weeks and his back end was beginning to smell. Now he smells like wet dog - it's an improvement, trust me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by