chicken bath for new birds?

citychicken1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
Hi you all! So I went to the Shelbyville Poultry show today and my greed got the better of me and I bought two Serramas, a hen and a roo! They are too too cute but they smell. They will be house chickens (at least till spring) and I can nake a suitable coop for them. I have a nice big dog crate ready for them. Soooo I am wondering if it is too late to bath them and dry them with a dryer before I put them in their new home? Will this stress them out too much after the long day they have had? any advice would be appreciated.

I would want to determine exactly where the odor was coming from first. I would observe them for at least 24 hours, to see if they have any discharges from any where, and examine their vents to make sure they are clean, and free of contaminated feathers.

If no discharges from nose, eyes, vents (no loose or blooody stools), and if they seem to be comfortable in new surroundings, then I would consider a warm bath with a blow dryer finish.

Good luck

I would wait... More than likely these birds have been raised outside with limitied to some human contact, and not the inside pet atmosphere. Give em a couple of days in the creat... Then give them a dawn bath and blow dry em. This breed is very easy to handle, just don't want them coming from an outside enviorment, to an auction, then the trip home.. I would wait a couple of days.

BTW Mine have never lived outside since hatching.. now I take them out, but as soon as I head for the door, they are RIGHT on my heals..lol

Back
Top Bottom