1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Bath Ingrediances

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrsroeder2012, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    I am going to be taking 2 of my chickens to the library for chicken week and story time and I would like to know what to use to wash my chickens?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Okay, I'm going to tell you how to wash chickens. Get three tubs or buckets of water, and fill them up to a little higher than the bird's back. Make sure that the water is 90-95 degrees. In the first tub, put some dog shampoo or some mild baby shampoo. Leave the second tub alone, but put 3/4 of a cup of vinegar in the last one. This will help cut away any extra soap left on the feathers after the rinse tub.

Then, move your chicken through the tubs. Work the water into the feathers, paying special attention to dirty areas and around the vent. Feathers are rather resistant to getting wet, so you'll have to part them and soak them for a while to get them thoroughly soaked.

Dry your chicken off as well as you can with a towel. Be careful not to squish it or squeeze it too tightly. If possible, keep the chicken(s) in a warm place until they are completely dry. Chickens usually dry within 24 hours.

Hope this helps!

3. Mrsroeder2012

Mrsroeder2012 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    Jamestown,Ky
    My Coop
    thank you very much this does help! I will be doing this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by