Chicken bath??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, May 8, 2011.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    So, I can only assume one chicken was roosting under another (but I didn't think I had them positioned in such a possible way), or maybe there was poop on a roost and she ran her backside under it. IDK... My 8 week White Rock has a stripe of poo going down the center of her back (head to tail!). Can I put her in the kitchen sink and give her a bath?? What do I wash her with? It looks sooo bad on white feathers.

Advice/comments/suggestions??? THANKS!!

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:If you do, please have somebody there to get video.

[​IMG]

3. kickenChickens

kickenChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Augusta
    [​IMG] yep I want to see that too!

4. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    The two of you are extremely funny... but absolutely no help [​IMG] I will be sure to take video IF I can get some info on how to give her a bath... stay tuned [​IMG]

5. agstanley

agstanley Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Conway, MO
    I can pretty well assure you, that the only one being bothered by the "pooh", is you. She doesn't care.

But in answer to your question.....yes, you can bath you chicken. We people who exhibit, bath them often before shows..especially light colored birds.

Just make sure that she is kept warm. Use a light amount of dove dishwashing soap, and LOTS of rinse water. Let her sun dry.

Regards.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thanks, agstanley!! I know she doesn't care one bit... I am constantly wiping poo off her somewhere usually with a vinegar and water solution on a paper towel, but this time it is just ridiculous. Also, I'm quite sure once I wash her and get the poo off, she is going to get it on her all over again. It doesn't bother me as much on my other girls because they have darker feathers, but she is white and it just aggravates my OCD [​IMG]

So this will be interesting... I will have my daughter video just to give my fellow BYCers a good laugh [​IMG]

8. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Be prepared to be *SHOCKED* people!

I bathe my chickens in the kitchen sink!!

I use Dawn, vinegar, and the kitchen sprayer. I then blow dry them. (If you have.use permethrin, this is the time to spray it under their wings and about the vent.) Then, mineral oil (or vaseline) on their comb, and vaseline on their legs. THEN, I throw them back out in the dirt or mud.

9. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Quote:WOW, Imp!! Thanks!! Ok... wish me luck and stay tuned

Oh, great info as well KlaHaYa Gardens!! You all are the greatest..

10. Chocobroc

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Ok... here it is, as requested. The 'gain' bottle is actually dawn soap, I reuse my bottles. Polly was actually pretty good, with one little spaz episode. I didn't get her as clean as I had hoped but better than nothing...
    Also, I tried to blow dry her as much as possible but it didn't seem to do the greatest job. Can she finish drying under her brooder lamp??

I hope the link works, I don't know how to put the video directly into the post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by