CHICKEN BATH

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HOTONE, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    IS IT OK TO BATH A CHICKEN WITH BABY SHAMPOO?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't know but I suspect it would wash off natural oils they need. Why do you want to wash it? How about just warm water?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why do you want to bathe a chicken? They don't bathe naturally, they preen themselves and take dust baths to keep clean and insect free.

4. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

as redsoxs says any soap or shampoo will remove oil from their feathers and skin. this will reduce the waterproofing of their feathers meaning they will stay wet longer in rain or snow - a definite problem when it is cold. they will preen themselves to re-oil their feathers. it will also change the condition (pH etc) of their skin which could make them more prone to skin infections etc. chickens don't need to be washed normally. if they managed to get themselves extra poopy warm water will clean it off. i would only use shampoo if they got something like motor oil on them.
    i'm sure some people do wash their chickens, and a mild shampoo would be the best, without any harm coming to their birds but it really isn't necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by