Chicken bathing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brukkala, Nov 20, 2013.

1. brukkala

brukkala Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I know chickens take dust baths and that generally keeps them clean, but we live in a wet climate and my girls have a bit of mud on their rear ends. I was wondering what people use to wash a chicken's feathers, and what technique you use to bathe them, and how often. Also, can you start doing that as soon as you get them? I just got mine a week ago and they are about eight weeks old.

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I fill a wash plastic wash tub with warm water and about a quarter cap-full of children's bubble bath liquid. I back the chicken up to the side of the tub and splash water onto the soiled area until the crust loosens. Do not scrub the feathers as this damages them. You can take a wet wash cloth and gently wipe the area until the soil is removed.

I either blow dry on low or pat dry with a dry wash cloth.

If you have feather-footed models, they get awfully muddy feet and really do need to be cleaned. Back the chicken up to the tub and dip one foot at a time into the water, gently working the soil loose with your fingers. Pat dry with a dry wash cloth.

3. brukkala

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks. Doesn't the blow dryer scare them?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It startles them briefly. But they don't ever put up much fuss because they adore the sensation of warm air blowing on them.

One time a hen was under a perch when someone let go with a nice runny poop. After I bathed her, she stood still without trying to run away for the half hour it took to blow dry her feathers.

5. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    I had to use one on an injured hen after cleaning her wounds. I put her in a cardboard box. She liked to stick her head under the flap of the box. She tolerated it well and she didn't know me very well at the time.

6. brukkala

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay. I have bathed them all and it's way easier than washing cats;) They don't like the water very much, but they love the hair dryer. All of them purred with bliss when I was drying their feathers. Anastasia loves her butt dried. Olga likes her tummy fluffed up. Tatiana likes to stretch her wings. Olga took a nap on my lap after her spa treatment and continued purring for around ten minutes. I am a confirmed chicken lover now:)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by