Chicken Baths??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by parisplus3, Jan 24, 2011.

1. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    One of my girls has developed too much poo on her butt feathers. It doesn't seem to be affecting her but can't be good for her either. Can I give her a bath some how? I would like anyone's advice/help with this. Thanks

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Sure, you can bathe your chicken. A lot of them actually seem to enjoy it, once the initial indignity wears off. Just make sure you dry her well, before putting her back outside. A hair dryer on a low setting is good for that.

3. parisplus3

parisplus3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    Missoula Montana
    Do i just fill up the kitchen sink and let her soak?

4. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

Sorry! I was wondering how you'd bath it too and your post set me off to laughing.

5. Kristin.marlies

Kristin.marlies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    I have filled my tub up with luke warm water to the point where she could stand but still have her rear submerged. I let her soak a little to loosen up the poo and then had to pull it off as gently as I could. She resisted at first so I had to make sure I had a good grasp on her but she quickly quieted down and seemed to enjoy it. She tensed up a little when I was removing the poo but not as badly as the initial shock of the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by