Chicken Battle!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WRVgirl, Nov 27, 2012.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I've got 2 chicks who are constantly battling with each other....the whole 9 yards, heads down, wings flapping, bumping chests and chirping at each other...out of 11 chicks, there are only these 2 that give me trouble.

Is it normal behavior, or am I going to have a problem with them later?

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    How old are they? Mine were constantly battling to see who ruled the roost but have finally sorted it out.

3. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    They're 5 weeks old and have been together since they hatched. I assumed that they would have already worked out their pecking order by now, but they've been really battling it out te past couple of days.

It's funny to watch because they're so small, and 99% of the time one of the Bigger chicks steps in and breaks it up. I just don't want them hurting each other.

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

In my opinion youngsters don't really work out the final pecking order until they are sexually mature. And it can change even then.

Are they males?

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    They're just playing. They should grow out of it by the time they reach maturity.

6. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    I've got no idea yet as to the sex of them [I'm still new, but I'm learning to figure it out by growth and traits]

But, so far, the ones I thought were roosters, everyone else says are going to be hens! lol.

It is cute when they battle though, little wings and squeaks and feathers, but one of the bigger chickens always runs right over, pecks them both and puts and end to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by