1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Beaks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tiki244, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Some of my roosters beaks grow pretty long on top and I end up having to trim them with a nail clipper and file and then sometimes I have to shape the bottom beak too so its a good fit. It just looks uncomfortable and I am afraid they wont be able to eat right if I dont trim them. Does anyone else have to do this?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How long is too long you think? Do you have pics?

Only other thing I can think of is if your birds are caged. Normally, with daily scratching and running around, they should wear their beaks down no problem.

One way for them to naturally "file" their nails is to place a few paver blocks down, and toss scratch or bird seed on it, that way they peck and wipe their beaks on the cement and wear it down naturally.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I dont have pics but it gets to the point where their mouth is open all the time because the top beak grows and wont let the mouth close.

That would explain why it is just the roosters then. They have been fighting so I had to seperate some and put in cages. I was going to build seperate pens when it gets warmer. Thanks Silkie Chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by