chicken bedding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karengibbo, Nov 3, 2009.

1. karengibbo

karengibbo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    england
    i have softwood bedding in my coop from the pet shop,as people use it for hamsters,rabbits guinea pigs am guessing this is safe,

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you mean something like pine shavings it ought to be OK. I favor kiln dried shavings over the air dried as they are less likely to be moldy.

.....Alan.

3. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Most here say steer clear of cedar shavings, which lots of rabbit and rodent bedding products are. Something about them being irritating to a chicken's respiratory system.

Pine shavings are A-okay though. And you'll probably find vastly better prices at a feed store or Tractor Supply than a pet supply store.

4. karengibbo

karengibbo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    england
    i live in a small town we only have about 5 pet stores, wouldnt know were theres a tractor store, thanks for the advise anyway

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    For pine shavings check out your local feed stores, particularly those that carry horse feed. They are commonly used for stall litter. You can get them in large compressed bales that way for far less than what a pet store will sell them for.

.....Alan.

6. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Tractor Supply is a chain in the US, but I'm noticing now that you're not here. Oops!

7. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Softwood bedding should be fine! I use cedar and pine with no problems at all.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Bags marked "softwood" are usually spruce sometimes with a mixture of pine. Spruce is even better than pine. It works exactly the same way but dries quicker and has less volatile oils (the stuff that makes cedar toxic and pine potentially dangerous to sensitive animals).

9. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Hmm, I actually got Alder yesterday. Is that okay?
    I buy mine at the pet supply store too. Yes, its cheaper at the feed store, but the feed store is much further away and I don't go through much.

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Tractor Supply Inc. is a chain store for farmers; maybe you have a Farm and Fleet in England?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by