Chicken Bedtime

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErikaSmit, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    Our free range chickens used to go back to the coop when they were ready for bed and we'd lock them up. After a raccoon break-in, my NH started coming up to the front porch to be put to bed. And since the 2 Sebrights have followed suit. Now everything night we have to pluck them off the front porch and bring them out back to lock them in the coop. Is there any solution to get them back to going to bed in the coop on their own?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd try locking them in the coop for a week or so. Try to break them of their current habit and get used to going straight to bed instead of you having to tuck them in. If you happen to not be there and have to get a chicken sitter to lock them up, it could be difficult and maybe put them at risk.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Drive them back to the run, before dark a few times using a long stick or a broom to extend your arms, and then throw scratch in the run. A few nights and they should start heading there on their own.

MK

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I think I would go out a little bit before you actually want them in and thrown down some scratch in their run and then lock them in the run so they can't get to the front porch. It might then get them into the coup on their own.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Mrs. K :

Drive them back to the run, before dark a few times using a long stick or a broom to extend your arms, and then throw scratch in the run. A few nights and they should start heading there on their own.

MK

X2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by