Chicken beginner looking for advice...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by susiesue, Dec 17, 2012.

1. susiesue

susiesue New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Cheltenham
    I have just this forum after spending the last 4 days studying life with chickens online! Was given my first three Belgium bantams in August, two hens Marg and Mable and a small cockerel called Mr Wiggins. Life was very happy for them until last week when a fox broke into the garden killed and killed Mr Wiggins. Mid afternoon my partner chased the fox away before he caught the two hens too.... So sad was I, i purchased two further Belgium hens and Pekin cockerel (mistaken identity!) at market a couple of days later... Brabinger (Pekin cockerel) came home with a sneeze and now £50 later and whole flock are antibiotics!!! It's been a steep learning curve, but wouldn't give them up for anything... Even if Brabinger's the wrong breed of Bantam!!! My only fear now is foxes.... The chickens still have free roam of the garden but only when my 3 collies are outside with them and I'm home.. I love them to have free range of the garden all the time. Been investigating electric fencing / net... Can anyone tell me how best used... Rather than corner off a section of garden, is using it round the fence / hedge line effective? Can foxes jump onto a fence then over the electric wire? Comments would be very much appreciated...

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A fox / coyote / my dog is physically capable of jumping 48" electrified poultry netting but most do not seem aware they can or do not think it is worth the risk. Having your dogs out and fencing makes better than sum of parts. Most chickens can clear it as well.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I would highly recommend the electrified poultry netting from Premier. I had two daytime fox attacks, lost seven, then nine. I had to do something for them, or just give up the chickens. I put the fence up this past spring, and haven't lost a bird since. The foxes are still around, as I see them every now and again. (And it's ALWAYS when I'm unarmed). Animals usually always check something out with their nose first, and with the fence having over 7000Vs, that is NOT a good thing to do. I've seen dogs nose up to the fence, put it in reverse, spin around and run and not look back until they are about a hundred or so feet away. I have the poultry plus netting, four foot high, with the double ground stakes. The fence is VERY easy to install, you just step in the stakes with your foot and move on to the next stake. You can get either a solar charger, or one that uses house current. Check the pic below, I have a 100X100' area fenced off for them. I'm thinking about another section or two to expand the range.
    Jack

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. susiesue

susiesue New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Cheltenham
    Thanks Jack, you do have quite a set up, very impressed. Your fencing looks more solid than others I've been reviewing online. Do u know... If I used an electric fence up against my existing fence / hedges surrounding the garden would it earth too much thus reducing the electrical power? Thinking about building a secured area whilst not at home coupled with then fencing off the majority of the garden as well. Mortified about last weeks loss, probably being abit OTT!! Sue

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I would make an enclosed area for the birds. A fox could just climb right over a regular fence, or come right through hedges. I know from personal experience how crappy it is to lose some birds. The fox didn't take just one, he practically wiped me out......TWICE. But it appears (KNOCK ON WOOD) this fence has been the answer. Goodluck with your chickens, and CHEERIO.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by