Chicken Behavior and sounds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE

CHCIKENMAN OF OGLETHORPE Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Georgia
    :|Just a while ago I was out in the coop with the girls when I heard one of my DOMs purring? Someone tell me I'm not losing my hearing or my mind!! PLEASE FOR GIVE ME IF THIS HAS BEEN ANSWERED BEFORE :|

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't know what DOM stands for, but chickens do purr if that's what you're asking. My rooster stands by the nest box and purrs while the girls are laying.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

was she in her nest trying to lay? ,,, and YES they purr,, kinda,,not really,, definitely [​IMG]

4. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    My crazy chickens cluck, crow, purr, growel, screach/scream and bock.

Quite the vocal aray and comedy in our hen house.

5. NaturalChick

NaturalChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Colorado
    My Ameraucanas will make a sound that is like a very loud and sharp "PEEP"!
    It looks like they might be sneezing when they make that sound.

It cracks me up every time!

6. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    I've heard one of my hens purr. They were roosting for the night and I had just popped open the door to check that all were in the coop. One was snuggled very close to another hen and was purring in her sleep. It was quite cute!

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]!

I've heard the "purring" sound you've described before. I have heard it described in books as a soft, singing sound. The "singing" is supposed to be a sign of contentment and happiness. [​IMG]

My rooster and hens would converse with soft clucks and singing sounds at night when they were on the roost together. It was very sweet, and (in my imagination) loving and romantic. [​IMG] I would imagine the things they were saying to each other (my rooster was extremely nice and friendly, and good to his hens).

8. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I have a bantam Brahma hen that will do this startling, very loud BARK! if you bother her. Her two hubbies use a squall/squawk to tell me off if I bother either one of them.
    [​IMG]
    When my Ameraucanas are really enjoying being cuddled, they shake their head back and forth while snuggling into you, and do this quiet sort-of-hissing breathing with a hint of holding their breath between each breath.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Mine do a kind of "trilling" noise when they are settling down for the night.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have heard the purr before, especially from our almost 10 week old chicks. they just love us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by