Chicken behavior? How about MY behavior?? Where's that forum?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, does anyone else freak out when they don't see one of their chickens for a while? I mean, I know I've only been at this nearly 2 months. But when I want to put eyes on my chickens...they best form a line and be counted! Always seems to be one of my nutcase, skittish Brown Leghorns. I head out, take a count. Someone is missing. "Why is she not right here", I ask myself. "Where could she be?"

The idea that I live on an acre or so of completely wooded land in the Smoky Mountains means nothing! I want to know where my chicken is!!! I walk the perimeter over and over. Nothing. I head up and down the mountain...will I see signs of a struggle? Will there be blood? C'mon Mildred, you just laid your first egg a couple days ago...don't do this!!!

Then, of course, I return from scouring most of western NC only to find her happily bathing in the dirt behind the house.

This whole chicken owning thing is driving me to drink...

[​IMG]

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Oh yeah.... I can relate.. we were having predator issues with the free rangers.. to the point where we were losing one or two birds a night (and for a few nights several of the young birds).. so every morning I would do a head count.. see who was missing and who wasn't.. I have two mixed breed mutt black hens that are usually the last to show up.. I never can find where they roost.. so I am always scanning the trees looking for them.. and sure enough when I have my back turned they will be at the feed pan looking at me like I am an idiot.. I will be soo glad when the new coop and run are done and they can start getting locked up!
    Luckily we haven't had any losses for a while now.. but I still do the head count just to be sure

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't even free range, but have them in a secured garden area of 600 sq feet and I lose a bird all the time!! Then I am in panic mode until I finally find her hiding somewhere where I can't see her. So I don't now how you all handle the thought of losing a bird free ranging. ( I have a serious hawk problem here so free ranging is just not going to happen). But I can believe that it does get your heart pounding and the fear factor up.

Oh, and I love the title to this one...."How about MY behavior?? Where is that forum?" [​IMG]

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Oh god, I don't know what I'll be like if we eventually lose a bird to a predator. I'll probably have them all gps chipped and place security cameras all around the property. Can you use invisible fence with chickens? They must not leave the property!!!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't think the invisible fencing works with chickens as they can fly over and such. Is there anyway you can fence off a section for day time use? I know it is not cheap to put up fencing, but for me, my babies are worth it. I just could not handle losing one of them to a predator.

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I don't think the invisible fencing works with chickens as they can fly over and such. Is there anyway you can fence off a section for day time use? I know it is not cheap to put up fencing, but for me, my babies are worth it. I just could not handle losing one of them to a predator.

Oh no, I'd have to clip wings and stuff. They are actually very good at staying close. It's just the occasional walkabout that drives me batty. I figure that if I'm going to have a predator, no little fenced in area is going to stop them during the day. I just have to suck it up and make sure to keep a good supply of tequila on hand...

7. LadyAndHerPeeps

LadyAndHerPeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Camden County Georgia
    Quote:I always catch myself doing a head count ,pass me one of those drinks,LOL

8. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I also count "heads" every night when they get put in the barn. I lost one the other day and found it under the chicken coop. She had squeezed into a small space and couldn't get out. Seems they are doing anything they can to get out of this TERRIBLE heat. I blocked the opening so she can't do that again.

9. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I do head counts even when I'm sitting in the run with them...we live on a hill and the ground in their run is uneven... so I worry that we've missed a spot and that they're going to escape on me (their only 4 weeks and fast as all get out!). I usually panic when I can't find one but have caught on to the fact that they like to hide under their ramp.... there are day when I think my heart will stop from all the worry and constant vigilance. I can hardly wait until they're big enough to fend for themselves... in a covered run of course!

10. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine

worth. every. penny. Google, "electric poultry netting"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by