Chicken behavior question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robertbrown, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Robertbrown

Robertbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    We had 2 Serama hens and 4 hawks, now we have 1 serama hen and 4 hawks. The Hawks seem to congragate at the neighbors property in a grove of live oaks. Since they aren't going anywhere. I am relunctant to replace the hen.
    After seeing these hens elude the hawks several times, I had foolishly come to the conclusion that I could avoid losing chickens by placing a hord of various obstacles in the garden to tilt the board in favor of the Seramas:/. I was thinking that because the breed is young they would still have some good "predator instincts", so I gave them plenty of hiding places.
    My question is this; Is this lone hen going to suffer from the lack of a companion or a flock to hang out with? Is keeping a lone hen a poor practice:rolleyes:?
    Egg production has drop by 80 percent since the abduction and consequent murder:hit.
    Your thoughts please.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm so sorry that you lost your girl [​IMG] I don't recommend keeping a hen by it self, however it can and has been done. If you do decide to keep her alone just be sure to spend a lot of time with her so she doesn't get lonely, you can also give her a mirror so that she can make friends with her reflection. I hope it works out for you.

3. Robertbrown

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Thanks for your suggestion:)

4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Sorry about the loss of your girl.

I am actually interested in anoother part of your post...the live oaks. I am actually reading a book about the formation of our Navy and one of the things that set our early frigates apart was the use of Live Oak. It is what gave USS Constitution the nickname "Old Ironsides".

Is there any possibility that you could take a pic of one and either post it or send it to me?

5. daydreamer92

daydreamer92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    How about getting a small chicken tractor so you can build up your small flock again without worrying about hawks? That's what I'd do. [​IMG] Hen will be happy, you'll get eggs, you can still move them around to get fresh grass.

6. Robertbrown

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Quote:You can use google images and see lots of live oaks. I will take some pics and send them but i think you will have to PM me with an email address. The wood is extremely hard, an ax will bounce off of a large green log when trying to split a piece.
    It's very strong but it does rot easily so I don't know how good it would be for boat building, you have to keep it dry or replace it often. Oak trees are typically used in the cultivation and propagation of mushrooms.

7. Robertbrown

Jun 6, 2010
    West Central Florida
    Quote:I spent hours designing and doing research(using this site primarily and others) and have plans for a "top shelf" chicken tractor, then my spouse tells me she does not like the idea of confining the birds. So hopefully she will change her mind or we can figure a way to have both or compromise.
    This morning I was unable to locate the remaining bird so, this issue my have already been resolved:(.
    I am hoping when I get home she will reamerge alive and well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by