Chicken behavior question

Jadnils

Songster
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ok, so I had a Blue Splash Marans that was about 6-7 weeks old and very aggressive towards my other pullets( I wasn't sure if it was a pullet or roo) and I have a "special needs " pullet that it would pick on but then again, it picked on everyone and then would settle down but was always looking to peck at someone. Anyway...I exchanged it for a sex-link RIR ( not sure exactly the name there) that is only about 4-5 weeks and that chicken is doing the exact same thing ! My oldest pullet is 9-10 weeks so she( I think it's a she) is much smaller but just as feisty as the Marans. Is this normal and what should I do or expect? I am new at chickens. I know there is a pecking order but, after that is established, I just want everyone to get along. Also, my "special needs" chicken is vulnerable.

They might just need more room. Good for you getting rid of the one doing the pecking but it stinks that you ended up with another that does the same thing. Try giving them more room, that might solve it.

My chickens have plenty of room...I believe...I have 5 now and am keeping the 4-5 week olds, there are 2, separate for now. The other 3 are in a 4x4' coop and 14' run. I let them all free range when I am home and yesterday the older 3 ran over to where the younger 2 are and all this started. I was surprised to see the younger one attacking the older ones who are much bigger. Lucy is the oldest and biggest and a real sweetheart and the little RIR sex-link was going at her with both feet! Poor Lucy ! She was picked on by that Marans and now this one too ! Does that mean the little RIR is trying to establish as the alpha chicken already? It is only 4-5 week old...I'm corn-fused here....

Last edited:
Well 3 weeks later everyone is fine with each other and they are all together as a little flock. Peace at last...
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom