Chicken Behavior & Welfare class thread! (free & online)

ackie

previously jwehl // dogs & cats & squirrels oh my!
Nov 3, 2020
Atlanta GA
Hi everyone! I signed up to take a free class on Coursera titled "Chicken Behavior and Welfare". If you arent familiar with Coursera, you can take all their classes for free (equivilent to auditing a class) or you can pay and end up with some type of certificate of completion. I am not endorsing their paid program- I dont know anything about that.

Anyway! Mine is starting today, but you can start (or restart later if you forget about it) whenever fits for you. In the free version, you can set whatever pace you want but there is a suggested pace, as being held to deadlines is helpful for most people, but its obviously pretty lowkey.

I'm hoping we could maybe get a group together to keep each other motivated. So, I guess I'll be documenting my progress here and I hope yall join me.

(I chose this forum because I think the class would be helpful in managing flocks, but mods please move if its better suited elsewhere)

"G. gallus (red junglefowl) browses on the forest floor for insects, seeds and fruit, and flies up to nest in the trees at night. That’s about as much flying as it can manage, a trait that had obvious appeal to humans seeking to capture and raise it. This would later help endear the chicken to Africans, whose native guinea fowls had an annoying habit of flying off into the forest when the spirit moved them."

:lol::lol:

You too can impress and amaze family at your holiday cookie exchange by regaling them with the history of chicken nutrition and the difference between animal welfare and animal rights! I’m so enjoying this course.
oh yes I am sure they are very excited for this hahahha. my uncle actually thought I was a vegan hippie living on a commune? because I told him we didnt slaughter our birds. no no, they're just not a meat breed.
I love Coursera! I discovered it last month but I haven’t done them yet 😂🤣🙈 edX is another great one too!! But idk if they have as many animal courses. But they do have a ton of other awesome ones!!
I am also taking "the science of well being" which I highly recommend to anyone interested in how your brain sabotages you into being less happy and how to combat it. but I signed up for the first time in like March, did one lesson and ghosted it haha. the chicken class and BYC thread has helped me actually keep up with that one too
I just started! and many thanks to BYC and @jwehl for starting this thread. So much cool chicken related stuff out there...never would have found it myself. 🥰
I had a brief moment after doctoring a chicken where I wanted to be a veterinarian...so I looked into what that would require and it was too much so I look up animal classes on coursera instead haha

Back
Top Bottom