chicken behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Christywix, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Christywix

Christywix New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    I am curious about white hens. I have had chickens for about a year. Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Americaunas. Never had white chickens. We sell chickens at work and eveyrtime we get white ones we have pecking trouble. So we only order whites on request. I took a few white ones home that had been pecked and noticed they are different than the rest of my birds in behaviour. I would say they are prissy always preening each other. They seem to be more flighty, high strung and more aggressive towards chickens that are not white. I have them segragated from the rest of the flock. Is this common in white birds?...

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yes, very common. It happens with reds also. They only seem to like their own colours.
    It sounds like your talking about white Leghorns.? They are flighty and a bit high strung..
    I used too have reds and whites...Never again. Mine were aggressive with the rest of my flock.

3. Christywix

Christywix New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Thank You....I thought maybe I was overthinking the problem....The breed is Ideal 236...I believe they are a leghorn cross...beautiful birds....but they are prissy little princesses...*lol*...and definitely prejudice.....

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yeah, possibly over thinking?? Chickens are easy, very easy..You know your flock better than BYC...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by