Chicken behavior...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ch1ckenmama, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ch1ckenmama

ch1ckenmama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2016
    Sorry I keep asking so many questions. I have my girls in their run today and a big storm came thru. First time they have been in their run when rain in coming down. They just stood there getting wet. I figured that they would run inside. Is this normal or do I need to show them and call them in? I got in the coop and tried calling them in but they just watched me. Lol! My guess is that they will eventually put themselves up?

2. clapperchicks

clapperchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2016
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I let my girls rome the yard all day, rain or shine. I've noticed that when its raining lightly it doesnt bother them and they will continue to run about the yard. I have noticed that when its windy and raining heavy they will take shelter under some of our big bushy trees or venture under our deck. They never really seek shelter in the covered run/coop. I would guess it depends on the chicken.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They are outdoor animals and therefor rain doesn't bother them.

1 person likes this.
  4. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Thank you! Guess I always thought that they would go inside...Lol! They actually seemed to enjoy being out in it! Now they are scratching away and getting the bugs!

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    People and some bugs hide from rain.

6. ch1ckenmama

Aug 16, 2016
    Very true! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by