Chicken Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brwneggs, Jul 3, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    It will probably take me for ever to figure out why yesterday the rooster and some of the hens pecked at that poor hen on the ground in a hole, and today, they are as cool as a cucumber. ???

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Someone got put to the very bottom of the pecking order.

3. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    What do you do when they are at the bottom? Its hot again, and one of them, maybe her, off to herself, and I just caught him again pecking her. It will kill her- won't it? I just dont want to see her die. I have no one to get to her in the little pen with out crawling in on my hands and knees. I dont know what to do. And I would have no place to put her.
    Quote:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  4. brwneggs

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Everytime a hen lay down to cool herself off, and its hot up here in northern Indiana today, he starts pecking at her. Sorry, but I took a hose and wet him down. I dont know how it happened, but he is now laying in a dirt pit, probably with his number one chick. I went outside and just put a fan, not an all powerful one standing fan beside the run. They were scared, of course at first of it. Now I sit here and watch them and they are walking in front of it, and stand there for a second and move on. I hope that helps cool them off a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by