Chicken Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JudithND, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JudithND

JudithND Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Indiana
    Hi, Im new to this forum. I have a hen that is doing something very strange and would like to know what this behavior means. When I reach down to touch her she immediately squats down and hunches up her wings (not extending them out) and then she quickly stomps her feet for just a moment and then stands firm in this way. She holds this posture (while I pet her) until I leave her alone. Sometimes she puffs up her feathers. Normally she likes to have me pet her. She is 4 months old and just started doing this a few weeks ago. A few others will do this but not to this extent. They will slightly hunch up the wings and fluff up a bit but that is it. Can you tell me what this behavior means?[​IMG] Is she trying to tell me something?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

She is telling you a couple things
    1- You are higher on the pecking order than her and is being submissive.
    2- She is giving you permission to be her rooster [​IMG]

Imp-Try ruffling up the feathers on her back, she will shake you off and walk away. The ultimate chicken rejection, [​IMG]

ETA- Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

She's trying to tell you she understands YOU are the Alpha in the flock. And, possibly, she will be laying eggs very soon, if she hasn't already started. (You didn't say.) She would do that to a rooster to indicate "I'm ready to submit to you, Big Boy."

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
  5. JudithND

JudithND Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Indiana
    I saw my first eggs on July 4th. Just two though. I got another two eggs on July 5th but none yesterday and two more today. So, the one doing the crazy posture thing is laying now! Cool! I think the other one would be the Rhodie. I saw her in the nest the other day with an egg. Thank you so much for all of the responses. Im glad to know what this means. [​IMG]

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Congrats on your eggs!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by