Chicken Behaviors

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pauleberly, May 29, 2016.

1. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    [​IMG]

Our chickens are always running away from us, especially the marans. They do not like to be held or eat treats out of our hands. This is what the chicken sounds like every time we do pick it up. Is this a normal noise, or is it a distress/anger type of noise?

All of our chickens make a noise when we pick them up, Silkies, ISA, and the marans. Thanks for any help

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds normal to me, most chickens unless handled a lot will be wary of humans, especially at that age. After they sexually mature and begin laying they tend to calm down somewhat and become more level headed as they get older.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sounds normal to me as well. She's young, and in my experience chickens that age tend to be fearful of humans. That often changes once they near laying age. Not all will love being held (most do not), but they certainly know who controls the treats.

4. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Ok that's good to know. We did not
    Want to cause stress on them.

5. Hrairoo

Hrairoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea.... I don't really start handling them until they start to crow/lay. (Aside from the first week of age) Unless a specific bird is alright with it, then its cuddle time all of the time

6. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    She doesn't sound stressed like freaking out stressed. I would have to say the majority of birds and fowl in general are not cuddly. They are food to a lot of predators so it's natural for them to be more careful.
    Just allowing them to come to you as you sit on the ground with treats in your hand and they eventually will come around you. Mine will jump in my lap and on my shoulders at times but only if I'm sitting on the ground and I am not standing or sitting on a chair. They will all follow me when I call but I've trained them with treats :)

7. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    A lot of our birds don't really like treats. I throw wild bird seed / cracked corn mix into the yard, and they really don't care. Blood worms they will eat but not persue them.

They did eat some fresh radish greens today tho, was very very happy about that.

Also, they seem to love grit. We purchased them some grit when they were little because I fed them worms. They absolutely love grit and would pig out on grit all day if we would let them.

Is that normal behavior or do I just have some weird birds?

8. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Mine will only eat grapes blueberries cheese and mealworms. I think some eat lots of stuff others picky. Mine don't like scratch either

9. pauleberly

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Dang. Why do these birds have to be so picky lol

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Young birds will often not eat stuff they aren't familiar with, even when older many of my hens won't eat new things until the roosters try it, than call them over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by