Chicken being bullied

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeesChucks, Oct 3, 2015.

1. DeesChucks

DeesChucks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    Spain
    We had 2 chickens and one was killed by a dog. Not wanting the remaining chicken to be lonely we got her a new friend. She has been bullying the new chicken and pecking her. I tried using vicks as people had recommend on the new chicken but its not worked. New chicken has a wound on her neck, not too deep but I am concerned. I have cleaned it with betadine and there was no blood. Does she need to see a vet? She wont come out of the bedroom part of her coop. I have seperated them now. Will they always fight? This is the first time i have had chickens and I don't know what to do. They are pets and i don't want to lose another one [​IMG] any advice will be appreciated.

2. cartdog

cartdog New Egg

Apr 12, 2014
    Idaho Falls, ID
    It can take quite a while before chickens not raised from chick's together will accept one another. I've had good results from keeping new chickens separate but in some way they can see each other. I've used dog play pens or chicken wire makeshift cages. Leave them like this a couple of days. Introduce one to the other at night in the coop after dark. They are less active and less inclined to fight. I've seen it take 6 months before the chickens from different sources and hatches actually start flocking together. If you keep the birds apart but where they can see each other for 2-3days the bullying should stop.

1 person likes this.
  3. DeesChucks

Oct 1, 2015
    Spain
    Thank you i have put the bully (Korma) in a huge dog crate for now. While Tikka is in the big coop they are next to each other but Tikka won't come out of the bedroom bit. I'll keep an eye on them and keep trying. is it ok to let them run aroud together whilst supervised then return them to their seperate houses after?

4. cartdog

cartdog New Egg

Apr 12, 2014
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Yes. Monitored together time will speed up the acquaintance period. Just don't leave them alone or confined together until enough adjustment time. I just got a single replacement pullet (exchanged for roo) today and am going thru same process.

5. DeesChucks

Oct 1, 2015
    Spain
    Thank you for your help

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It might take more than a few days to sort this out.
    I would try keeping one of the birds in a wire cage right in the coop and/or run for a couple weeks.
    You can switch up who is in the cage and who is out of the cage.
    Spread feed/treats right next to the cage wall, both inside and out, so they can get used to eating near each other.

Let them both out together for a short time each day to see what happens.
    Multiple feed/water stations can help, as well as places to hide 'out of line if sight' and/or up and away from the aggressor.

7. DeesChucks

Oct 1, 2015
    Spain
    Thanks for the advice everyone Tikka and Korma are now best friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by