Chicken being picked on after frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whitepinefarm, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Whitepinefarm

Whitepinefarm In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2018
    Wisconsin
    With our incredibly low temps here in Wisconsin one of my 3 chickens got a frost bitten foot which also bled. I separated her from the other 2 chicks and created a hospital setup for her in a large dog crate in a different area. I cared for her foot as recommended by some of you. I used blu-kote on her foot which worked well. This morning I put her back with the other 2 chicks and they immediately attacked her purple foot. She fled to a safe area and there she remains. Any thoughts on how to safely reintegrate her. Thanks for suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    you could put her in an adjacent pen so the others can see her but not hurt her

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. Whitepinefarm

Whitepinefarm In the Brooder

Jun 26, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Thank you both for your responses. I also found the article very helpful. I am in the process or redesigning and enlarging my coop and run but that the moment it would be difficult to comfortably place the dog cage in the run. I have a smaller cage that I may use tomorrow that would fit so I’ll give that a shot. Funny- I thought they might welcome her back with open arms. Still have a lot to learn.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Give it a try and see how it goes.
    No, sadly, chickens are not too welcoming at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: