Chicken biography's

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bossynbella, Nov 9, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I think this section is wonderful and when I first saw it I thought what a wonderful place for chicken biography's, so I am going to make one for all my chickens you are all welcome to add yours too. Lets keep it to just one or two chickens at a time that way we can get to know them individually. I will try to add a new chicken of my own at least once a week. This will be a place to honor our chickens.
    I would like to have when and where you got the chicken. What breed it is or mix if you know. How long you have had it and of course all those special stories and pictures you have.

2. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I will start with my first chicken.

[​IMG]
    Her name is Lola and she is a sex link hen, you can call her a ISA brown, golden commet or whatever you want but she is at least 4 years old and still lays an egg every other day.

My DH got her and 4 other sexlinks for me on my birthday, May in 2006, from a newspaper add, a local farmer had around 50 of them. She was at least 2 when we got her and the nicest looking of all 5 of them.
    [​IMG]

Slowly over the last two years all her sisters have passed away. Now she is the only one left. She is not be lonely as we have added many more chickens over the last two years.

She was always the one that didn't like to be touched and that hasn't changed as she has gotten older. She likes to help DH dig in the garden but will not let you catch her if she can help it.
    [​IMG]

She has had two children a son who we called Huey for the short amount of time we kept him, and a daughter Lady who we still have. Both with the same father, Kramer a Red sex link rooster we got from Cackle hatchery in 2007.
    The daddy
    [​IMG]
    Huey as a chick
    [​IMG]
    Little Lady
    [​IMG]
    She even went broody once which I guess is unusual for a sex link though we never let her hatch any because we value her eggs to much, we couldn't afford to not get her eggs every other day!

[​IMG]

She lays Very Large Dark Brown eggs and even though she is old she lays more then our year old Barred Rocks do.

She doesn't take any grief from anyone not the young chickens, not the dogs, not us and not the cats, She will cuddle up to them on a sunny day though. All that fur sure is warm.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by