Chicken Bit By Dog Just Now!! Please Help Asap!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackyardCountry, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    I was inside just now and my neighbor rang the dorbell and said that one of my chickens had gotten loose in her yard and the nieghbor said she flew out of the bushes and their dog bit my chicken's wing. i ran outside to see my poor chickie, Willa, lying in the street, apparently unable to move. i brought her inside as fast as i could to check for any damage but there doesnt appear to be any. She is usually a very skittish, excited chicken but right now she is just sitting in my lap, sleeping. Is she in shock maybe??? should i take her to a vet??? HELP! Thank you in advance!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Do you see any puncture marks? Can she move the wing? Any blood at all?

3. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    She is probably in shock. If she has no sign of damage (though she could have a broken bone) then I would just try to make her comfortable (food and water and placed in a warm box with hay or an old towel in it) and see how she progresses if you do find any sign of damage take her to the vet, or if that isn't an option come here.

4. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    My chicken was just bitten by the dog across the street apparently in the wing or butt area. I dont know what to do and no vets around handle chickens. She appears to be in shock, just sitting still and closing her eyes sleepily. She keeps rocking back and forth and cant balance on one side. What should i do??

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    keep her warm and safe for the moment....did you clean the place where she got bit??...im sure people will tell you what to do to help her...
    i am new to all of this myself...but i wish you luck

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would put her in a box or cage and keep her warm and quiet to give her a chance to come out of the shock. If you can keep her inside overnight or someplace warm, that would be great. When she is a little stronger, then check her over for wounds. You can wash out any wounds with diluted betadine.

Don't be surprised if she isn't interested in food for a while. Water is important, though. Water with Pedialyte would be good, sugar water will be okay if you don't have Pedialyte.

Good luck!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been through this too many times myself. Follow goldies99 advice for first 24 hours. Bird likely in shock and internal damage probably worse than appears. If bird survives night, then ask for further advice. If it survives first night, controlling for infection will be next concern.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Shock is more dangerous to birds than most injuries. Keep her warm, dry and quiet in a dimly lit place by herself so she can get over the shock. If you have any Bach's Rescue Remedy it may be helpful at this point.

Check her over for injuries. Look specifically for puncture wounds. Look carefully. They can be hard to find as they are not big and they can hide pretty well in feathers. If she has no obvious bleeding wounds then I would let her rest for the night. You can check her more carefully tomorrow for bruises and breaks after she has had a chance to get her bearings.

Let us know how she's doing.

9. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    2 of our birds got bitten by a neigbers dog. it was just 2 teeth holes which cause like gang green or something which ate through their skins causing huge holes in their backs and yes i could see their insides. the birds were attacked like 6 months appart. we put down the first one cause we didnt know wat to do. the second one i was determined to keep alive so i made my parents let me keep her down stairs. i kept her very clean and her cage. she was in our basement for about a month until it started scabbing. now she lives with my other neigber [​IMG] look for bite marks and keep a eye on them

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It might be helpful to move your question to the Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by