chicken bit by opossum in the neck.

jayjaye

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
My sister who is studying to be an rn, says that it sounds like air is escaping at times. The wound has been cleaned and dressed. We're not sure if we should take it to the vet or not. For now, we have the chicken indoors. Any suggestions on what to do next? I should also mention that my mother fed it Tylenol to relieve its pain.
This chicken is more of a pet rather than a source of egg or poultry meat. Unfortunately for it, it was attacked by a cat last year. The whistling sound it makes was bad enough. But the psychological problems have me worried.

Last edited:
Update,
We tried giving it some water this morning. Blood is oozing out from the beak.
Update 2,
Beak is no longer secreting blood

Last edited:
Cant feed it eggs or anything solid since it seems like the top part of the beak is coming off. It also sounds like it's snoring. Not sure if it's wind pipes have blood in it. For now, im trying to givw it water through a cup. Not sure if its drinking though. Saddly, i believe a mercy kill is necessary.

Last edited:
. Saddly, i believe a mercy kill is necessary.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - sometimes, the kindest thing for our animals is the hardest for us. I've kept many an animal alive, thinking I could "fix" it, when all I did was prolong its agony. I'm a little quicker to make the decision to put it down than I used to be. I don't like to see anything suffer.

Back
Top Bottom