1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken bleeding at earlobe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My SLW Macy is bleeding from the earlobe. It isn't very bad, just a small bit. I don't know when it started, the blood for the most part is dried, with a very little fresh blood. I don't know what happened to her. She most likely wasn't being picked on, she is either head chicken or second chicken, and is kind of mean. Should I give her something to ease the pain? Should I put anything on it? She is currently in my little infirmary, with a heat lamp on her and some food and water, with a little scratch to make her happy. :) She doesn't seem to be in pain.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    She is probably fine. You could put a little neosporin on it but only pain free neosporin.

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ooops. I just put triple antibiotic ointment on her, and it has pain reliever in it. :( It's the only kind we have. What is bad about pain relief?

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ive heard its toxic to chickens.

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    oh, dear.

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It was just a little area Im sure they will be fine.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Now that I think about, I had one chicken that had ripped off part of her comb, and I put the same medicine on it. She's fine, so I'm sure Macy will be too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by